Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Part 2: The Journey Explained

Quickly realized that I was not merely dreaming. Ventured down to the Residential Services Desk where I was given directions on how to get to the Main Campus. I set out about 3 and apparently confused the directions and ended up walking about 2 miles out of the way! However, I am a firm believer in "happy accidents" and I did meet a wonderful 30 something woman (Kristen) who walked along with me, chatted about school and invited me to her upcoming housewarming party. 

From the start, I was greeted by friendly, kind and helpful people. I am forever grateful for the kindness of strangers and the patience of new-found friends. Perused the older campus area and then went to the Visitor's Centre Gift Shop where I purchased a few things on the sale table to spruce up my room. Chatted up the ladies at the cash register and they recommended a GREAT tea shop and used book store. Once again (although NO fault of my own this time) it took much longer than necessary for me to reach my desired destination. The tea shop is off a side street, down an alley-like dead-end and around the corner of a building. The shop is quaint and cozy; old-lady couches, chairs, various paintings adorn the walls, friends surround the fireplace and a young couple on a date were playing some game that I did not recognize. Ordered green tea to relax a little and a bowl of vegetarian carrot and lentil soup---DELICIOUS and a bargain at 4.50 quid for the entire thing. Must go back with friends and hang out. Must.

The following day I once again ventured out around 3:00 (hey, a girl has to be proactive about overcoming jet lag) and once again went to the Residential Services Desk. As I was relaying my previous day's adventures, the Receptionist (Jen) who checked me in the day before was off duty and offered to show me to city centre so that I could buy useful things (like pots and pans, groceries, etc.). Jen proved particularly useful in helping me secure waterproof shoes, pots and pans, groceries, etc. Jen is a native of Banff, Scotland and is in her 3rd year at Uni (what the locals call university), studying Scottish literature. 

I spent the next several days shopping for more supplies, redecorating my room (quite creatively, if you ask me), reading and enjoying the Botanical Gardens. The Botanical Gardens are a shortcut to campus from my hall of residence. Although there are many LARGE hills in the Gardens (and everywhere else in Glasgow), it is definitely worth the extra leg muscle. At least my calves will be enviable in no time at all. :) 

On Sunday (August 30), Jen and I ran into her swimming group at a local coffee shop and I was introduced to some lovely folks. Also met Jen's friend from Dundee, so enjoyed far too much conversation and coffee for one day!

Thus far, the weather has been MUGGY and damp with intermittent rain showers...thankfully, Monday (Sept. 1) signifies the arrival of Autumn, as the sun appears, the clouds disperse and the air is a bit crisper! YEAH! :)

On Monday, I met up with the American (Jacquie) from the plane to Glasgow to register with the police and look into purchasing pay-as-you-go cell phones with local numbers. We weren't able to register with the police just yet, as Jacquie is waiting on a letter from the Accommodations Office. We had success finding phones (yeah!) and with a bit of shopping at Charity Shops (thrift stores that benefit charities), lunch at Tennants (a pub that opened in 1884) and a nice leisurely stroll through the Botanical Gardens. All in all, a pretty fantastic week, minus the jet lag! 

No comments: