Monday, September 22, 2008

Ticket, please?

Today is officially the first day of classes, although I did technically have a 1st class meeting last week. Nonetheless, I feel like I have reached the first summit on a roller coaster; I can hear the chink-chink of the gears bringing me up to this point and then that eerie moment of calm before the screaming begins. :O

Please allow me to clarify by saying that I do not feel nervous per se (which NEVER happens for me), I am just keenly aware of the power this educational opportunity could exhibit in both my professional and personal life. I am already making valuable connections with museum professionals and my fellow classmates---future museum professionals. Our group of 30 is quickly becoming more cohesive and I also expect that for our smaller sect (12) of History of Collecting and Collections students. This will be an intense experience for all involved and I am eager to see how far I can push myself, how many comfort zones can I break out of, how can I challenge myself in new ways? 

Above all, I want to ultimately be present for this entire experience. 

Some would say/have said (and probably won't EVER read this) that I should not put too much pressure on myself and this experience because I am merely an exchange student and I am NOT writing the dissertation.  (I will meet all of the requirements to earn the Diploma, but if I wanted to write the dissertation, I would be required to pay Glasgow tuition and fees for the year; about $30,000 USD). Here's my train of thought: 
  • I am required to do EVERYTHING leading up to the actual writing of the dissertation. This includes: a 4,000 word Literature Review, a formal presentation of my research and a formal research proposal that will either receive approval or not. 
  • My potential dissertation topic could be rolled into a PhD or I may have the opportunity to return to the University of Glasgow to write my dissertation....
  • This is an INVESTMENT. I will be receiving an ivy-league caliber education (Glasgow is one of the top 100 universities in the WORLD) by only paying OU tuition and fees. Why not take advantage of that?
  • I am building connections that I was not/could not build at home in the U.S. 
  • The access that we are provided to Glasgow museums, collections and curators is incredible. We have world-renowned art institutions here and we are encouraged to utilize them to the fullest. 
  • I am interested in possibly remaining in the U.K. to pursue work or other educational opportunities, so I really need to make the best of this opportunity! :)
I realize this sounds a bit like a rant, but I just want folks to understand the magnitude of this opportunity and the types of doors it is ALREADY opening for me. I still can't believe that I am here; that I live here and that this is now my life. Every day I awake absolutely thankful for my life. I live in a place that I LOVE, surrounded by so many wonderful people, museums and weather patterns. 

Yes, it has been difficult to leave so many of the people I love in America. The two hardest things for me have been the inability to merely pick up the phone and call people and the idea that I will not see many of the people I love for at least the next year---if not longer if I can gain permission to stay in the U.K. for up to 2 years via the Scotland Scheme (more on that later as I find out additional information, folks). 

It looks like I will be headed to Edinburgh for the Impressionism & Scotland: Taste and Critical Reception Conference at the National Gallery of Scotland October 9-10. Vivien Hamiliton is giving a talk, along with the head of my department and the head of Culture and Sport Glasgow. With my potential dissertation topic in mind, this seems to be a good jumping off point. Will be checking with my fellow students this week to see if anyone else is interested in attending and if they'd like to bus together and possibly share a room somewhere. If not, looks like I'll be heading to Edinburgh on my own.

Many thanks for all the support, encouragement and love from my family, friends and former co-workers. I wouldn't be here without you all and I carry you all with me in my heart. Please know that I love and miss you all and that I will do my very best to keep up with communication while I am here. I still want to know what is happening in YOUR life, so keep me abreast! And, if any of you are interested in visiting Scotland while I am here, let me know and I can brief you on the academic calendar and such. 

"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So....get on your way...." -Dr. Seuss

-Vanessa


No comments: