Monday, September 29, 2008

Thank heavens for Craig Ferguson!




The first week of classes were as I suspected---intense, exciting and informative. :) As I've mentioned before, the History of Art Department is FANTASTIC at introducing us to the museum and art community, both here in Glasgow and beyond. Our introductions occur via lectures, museum receptions, exhibition openings, field trips, etc. Today, we are journeying to Drumlanrig Castle in Dumfriesshire (see: www.drumlanrig.com ). I will be meeting with the head of my department on Wednesday to discuss my Personal Development Plan (PDP) and my potential dissertation topic...I think I may have changed subject area, but I will let you know after I visit with Liz. 

I worry (after re-reading this blog) that I am yammering on about things you all might find boring. I realize that I have been neglecting the cultural aspects of living in a new country and I sincerely apologize for that...I suppose I was just giving myself some time to digest these differences first before making comments about them (i.e. ice trays). Since I've been here a month (ALREADY) it's high time that I clue you all in on some cultural/societal things...
  • I live in the West End of Glasgow =VERY hip, VERY trendy, VERY expensive part of Glasgow to live in. My dorms are surrounded by GORGEOUS and EXPENSIVE apartments that I would give just about anything to live in! 
  • No one really wears t-shirts here...so, when I am chilling in the Botanical Gardens on Saturdays and Sundays, I can be found wearing jeans, a sweater (lightweight) and some comfy shoes. I made the mistake of wearing my t-shirt out once and I felt COMPLETELY out of place. Now, I just blend in. :)
  • Coffee and tea time is very important socially in this country. I have quite possibly consumed more coffee in the month I've been here than in my ENTIRE life. I suppose I love the 'idea' that coffee and tea embody here: take a breath, catch-up with friends and share a few laughs. This is definitely something I could get accustomed to!
  • I journeyed over the weekend to Sir Walter Scott's house a few hours away with 2 classmates. One of my classmates was our fearless driver and we were apparently driving on the German Autobahn...I have NEVER felt carsick in my life and I was completely gray during the entire journey there (we took VERY curvy back roads). The views were amazing, but I did make the mistake of sitting behind the driver (on the right side of the car) and the passing traffic didn't make things any better. Note to self: pick up a sedative before riding again. 
  • It is amazing how close you become with people you only met a month ago. I feel like I have known these people FOREVER and I can't believe that it has only been a month. A week here feels like months at home....interesting.
  • I seriously love my friends here (and miss my friends in the States like CRAZY). I feel so lucky to have wonderful friends on at least 2 continents. I am close with 2 Americans (Jacquie and Aimee) and several girls from my program (Naomi and Karen) and with the former owners of the Tomato (David and Edward) and the first friend I made here (Jen). I would say this is my core group of friends and although I do hang out with other people, these folks know me the most. 
  • I miss college football culture; I miss hearing Gameday; I miss yammering on about the Sooners and the polls in the grocery store, at work, etc. It is really hard for me to miss this fantastic football season...now I know how my best friend Melissa felt when she moved back to Chicago and couldn't attend the games anymore. People look at me BLANKLY when I tell them how excited I am that we are now #1 in the polls...only Americans seem to understand and some Americans (err...Jac) doesn't quite understand the magnitude of being #1. I never considered myself a HUGE college football fan (or even OU fan), but I suppose a time difference of 6 hours and 6,000 miles changed that! 
  • Must confess that lately I have been completely ADDICTED to watching snippets from the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on Youtube...I suppose he is helping me to bridge the cultural gap, as he is a Glaswegian living in America and I am an American living in Glasgow. Also, he just makes me laugh out loud and how can that ever be a negative thing? Interestingly, my friend David reminds me of Craig Ferguson---facial expressions, Scottish sense of humor, etc. It is hilarious to listen to David make fun of Americans who came into his coffee shop wanting to know about EdinBURG. A riot! :)
I hope these cultural musings have been informative (or at least interesting) and I plan to continue onward with them. Have a great day! 

-Vanessa

No comments: